Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gingerbread Graham Cracker Houses

Today's Christmas Countdown activity:  "Decorate Gingerbread Houses" {yes, technically these houses are made of graham crackers but my kids don't know the difference and even if they did, I don't think they would care!}

During quiet time today, I made these little houses using graham crackers and my hot glue gun {Sooo much easier and much less frustrating then frosting!  Thanks for the idea Lesley!}.  When L saw them, she said, "Wow, we each get a house (unlike last year when we all decorated one)!  I'm so glad mom sewed these up for us {they were sitting in the office next to my sewing machine and apparently she thought I sewed them, ha!}." 

L was excited to frost her own house but didn't get too far before asking for help...

I had pre-frosted I Man's so he got straight to work decorating!  Shortly after I took this photo though, he realized the decorations were edible and he never got much further than the roof...sigh!

Several minutes later we had each decorated our own little house {and eaten plenty of candy - uffda!} which are now adorning my kitchen counter!


Top Left:  D's, Top Right:  M's, Bottom L:  L's Bottom R:  I Man's

There wasn't much learning about generosity or gratitude with this one, but we had some great family time together and it was FUN!

1 comment:

City Girl Gone Country said...

What a great idea! I might actually do this one since I'll be able to get the houses to stay together. Thanks!